Current:Home > StocksMan in bulletproof vest fatally shoots 5, injures 2 in Philadelphia; suspect in custody -Capitatum
Man in bulletproof vest fatally shoots 5, injures 2 in Philadelphia; suspect in custody
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 09:45:05
Five people were killed, including a 15-year-old boy, and two others were wounded in a shooting in Philadelphia Monday night, officials said. A suspect is in custody.
Initially, police said four people lost their lives but they later reported that a fifth victim had been found inside a house. All seven victims were male.
On Tuesday, officials identified the victims as 20-year-old Lashyd Merritt, 29-year-old Dymir Stanton, 59-year-old Ralph Moralis, 15-year-old Daujan Brown and 31-year-old Joseph Wamah.
The two who were wounded were 2 years old and 13 years old, authorities said. Both were in stable condition.
The gunfire happened across four city blocks, police said.
The suspect, described as a 40-year-old male, was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying an AR-style rifle, a handgun and a police scanner, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw told reporters. The suspect was taken into custody "without further incident" after officers who were chasing him while he was shooting caught up with him and cornered him in an alley, Outlaw said.
On Tuesday, police said the suspect, who has not been identified, has not yet been charged but charges are expected soon.
Outlaw condemned the "senseless act of violence" and vowed a thorough investigation.
"What happened last night was unimaginably disgusting and horrifying," Outlaw said.
Another person, who Outlaw said returned fire at the suspect, was also taken into custody.
Outlaw said she had "absolutely no idea why this happened." It wasn't immediately clear if the victims had any connection to the shooter.
"At this point, all we know is that this person decided to leave their home and to target individuals," Outlaw said.
The initial shootings took place around 8:30 p.m. in the city's Kingsessing neighborhood, according to CBS Philadelphia.
Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small later said that an officer processing the first crime scene was approached just before 12:30 a.m. Tuesday by a man who said he'd just returned home to check on his son in a private residence in the vicinity of where some of the earlier shootings had occurred. The father said he found his son on the living room floor and he was unresponsive.
The officer called medics, who pronounced the 31-year-old dead at the scene.
It appeared he'd been shot at least once in his face and several times in his chest/torso area, Small said, adding that investigators found roughly seven rounds in the residence.
Police believe the son was the seventh victim because of where the house was and because ballistics were the same as in the earlier shootings.
Small noted that police know there weren't any gunshots after the initial flurry because there were many officers and detectives combing the earlier crime scene when the father approached one of them and no shots were heard in the interval.
- In:
- Shooting
- Philadelphia
veryGood! (46513)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- USAs Regan Smith, Katharine Berkoff add two medals in 100 backstroke
- 72-year-old woman, 2 children dead after pontoon boat capsizes on Lake Powell in Arizona
- Francine Pascal, author of beloved ‘Sweet Valley High’ books, dead at 92
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Full House's Jodie Sweetin Defends Olympics Drag Show After Candace Cameron Bure Calls It Disgusting
- How Stephen Nedoroscik Became Team USA's Pommel Horse Hero
- Police recruit who lost both legs in ‘barbaric hazing ritual’ sues Denver, paramedics and officers
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Watch as rescuers save Georgia man who fell down 50-foot well while looking for phone
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Redemption tour for USA men's volleyball off to a good start at Paris Olympics
- 83-year-old Alabama former legislator sentenced to 13 months in federal prison for kickback scheme
- Son of drug kingpin ‘El Chapo’ pleads not guilty to drug trafficking charges in Chicago
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- 8 US track and field athletes who could win Olympic gold: Noah, Sha'Carri, Sydney and more
- Frederick Richard next poster athlete for men's gymnastics after team bronze performance
- Erica Ash, 'Mad TV' and 'Survivor's Remorse' star, dies at 46: Reports
Recommendation
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Paris Olympics set record for number of openly LGBTQ+ athletes, but some say progress isn’t finished
Frederick Richard next poster athlete for men's gymnastics after team bronze performance
Did the Olympics mock the Last Supper? Explaining Dionysus and why Christians are angry
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
US women beat Australia, win bronze, first Olympics medal in rugby sevens
Des Moines officers kill suspect after he opened fire and critically wounded one of them, police say
American consumers feeling more confident in July as expectations of future improve